How to Apply
SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools Applications for the 2021-2022 School Year will be available beginning October 1, 2020 for both General Education and Gifted Education Programs.
Due to social distancing protocols and a Gifted evaluation/testing hiatus, the application opening date for Gifted Education Programs will be Thursday, October 1, 2020, the same as General Education applicants.
Thursday, October 15th 2020: 1:30 – 2:30pm
High School Here I Come will be hosted virtually on Google Zoom and YouTube. The focus will be on educating prospective students and families on all SLPS high schools, the magnet criteria, on-line application, and timeline. Each high school will pre-tape a 1-minute video that will showcase their school and explain program highlights. A live host will be present during the broadcast to introduce high schools, special guest and give-a-ways.
THE EVENTS DESCRIBED BELOW ARE TENTATIVE UNTIL FURTHER INFORMATION CAN BE PROVIDED. DATES AND TIMES AND FORMAT AS IN-PERSON OR VIRTUAL ONLINE EVENTS IS NOT FINALIZED AS OF OCTOBER 1, 2020.
Keep In Mind
- All applications received in a Pool Application Period are given equal consideration, within placement priorities. Click this link http://www.slps.org/Page/747 to review the SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools Placement Priorities
- All Pool A applicants will be considered for placement prior to reviewing Pool B applicants, and all Pool B applicants will be considered for placement prior to reviewing applicants applying after the lottery pool deadlines.
- Applications for non-accepted students must be re-submitted each year. Unplaced student applications do not carry over from one year to the next.
- Applications received after the Pool B deadline will be considered for placement in the order they are received, after all Pool A and Pool B Applicants are placed where possible.
- Students who do not attend the Magnet or Choice School they were accepted into on the first day of the new school year will forfeit their seat.
Click this link http://www.slps.org/Page/747 for the SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools Feeder Pattern
Parents wishing to apply to magnet schools other than those assigned by continuity of program are free to do so, but the applications will be considered for placement under the Pool System, as well as the priorities within those pools.
Students determined eligible for SLPS District Gifted Programs who attend SLPS General Education Magnet Schools or SLPS Neighborhood Schools are not given Continuity Placement Priority into Gifted Program Magnet Schools. Parents of Gifted Eligible students not currently attending a Gifted Education Program School and wishing for their child to attend one of the Gifted Education Program Magnet Schools must apply and be considered in the lottery with the priority assigned as a student currently enrolled in a Magnet or Choice School. Parents of current General Education Program Magnet Schools students wishing for their child to attend one of the Gifted Education Program Magnet Schools must apply and be considered in the lottery with the priority assigned as a student currently enrolled in a magnet or choice school.
Important! All 8th to 9th grade students must apply to be considered for placement to a Magnet or Choice High School. All school established criteria must be met to be Placement Eligible for consideration of potential placement into a Magnet or Choice High School. 8th grade Magnet Middle School graduates are not guaranteed placement into the continuing themed Magnet or Choice High School if the Placement Eligibility criteria established by the school is not met.
The following students are eligible to apply for a spot in an SLPS Magnet or Choice School:
- Any student living in the city of St. Louis.
- Students residing in the Affton, Bayless, Brentwood, Clayton, Hancock Place, Kirkwood, Ladue, Lindbergh, Mehlville, Parkway, Pattonville, Ritenour, Rockwood, Valley Park and Webster Groves school districts are eligible to apply for the 2021-22 School year if a sibling currently attends an SLPS Magnet or Choice School, for Kindergarten through Grade 12. County residents are not eligible for preschool, and they are not eligible to apply for Choice Schools: Northwest Law Academy, Carnahan High School of the Future, Clyde C. Miller Career Academy.
- For the 2021-22 School Year application period and beyond: St. Louis County students residing in participating St. Louis County school districts must have a sibling currently attending an SLPS Magnet School to be considered for potential placement in schools for grades KG-12. Please contact the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation at 314-772-8422 for more information. Participating School District St. Louis County Resident families can email.
- Applicants to Pre-kindergarten 3 and 4 years old programs must be St. Louis City residents
- Applicants to Pre-kindergarten 3 years old, Pre-kindergarten 4 years old, Kindergarten (5 years old) and 1st grade (6 years old) programs must be age appropriate on or before July 31 of the school year requested to apply/enroll. An applicant/student whose birthdate falls in the middle of the school year after July 31 is not considered age eligible for application processing and placement to the next grade level upon the anniversary of their birthdate.
The application process
Students wishing to attend a Magnet or Choice School must submit an application which can be done online at this website. Additional printable copies of applications are available for city residents at the St. Louis Public Schools website at www.slps.org or call the Student Recruitment Office at 314.633.5200. St. Louis County residents can visit the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corp. (VICC) website at www.choicecorp.org . At this website click on "Information about applying," or call 314.721.8422.
2021-22 School year online application submissions will not be permitted after June 3, 2021. Paper application submitted after this time will only be processed if an open seats exists at the school and grade requested. You will NOT be notified if your child's application is not processed.
Completed applications that are not submitted online using the website, may be mailed or dropped off to:
ST. LOUIS CITY RESIDENTS:
St. Louis Public Schools
Student Recruitment Office
801 N. 11th Street
St. Louis, MO 63101
ST. LOUIS COUNTY RESIDENTS:
Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corp. (VICC)
7425 Forsyth Blvd., Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63105
SLPS General Education Magnet and Choice Schools Applications for the 2021-22 school year will be available beginning Thursday, October 1, 2020. Please complete only one application with 2 choices maximum (2 choices are not required) per child. Please do not request choices to schools you are not willing to have your child attend.
SLPS Gifted Program Education Magnet Schools Applications for the 2021-22 school year will ALSO be available beginning Thursday, October 1, 2020. Due to social distancing protocols and a Gifted evaluation/testing hiatus, the application opening date for Gifted Education Programs will be the same as General Education Programs for the 2021-2022 School Year SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools Application. Elementary Gifted Education Program applicants may submit placement requests for all four Elementary Gifted Education Program Options with preferences ranked from one to four (only one choice is required). Please do not request choices to schools you are not willing to have your child attend. In addition, Gifted Education Program applicants for all Gifted Program Schools may also apply for up to two General Education Schools Magnet Schools if desired, to be considered for placement prior to required testing being administered. Please do not request choices to schools you are not willing to have your child attend.
For the 2021-22 School Year application period and beyond: St. Louis County students residing in participating St. Louis County school districts must have a sibling currently attending an SLPS Magnet School to be considered for potential placement in schools for grades KG-12. Please contact the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation at 314-772-8422 for more information. Participating School District St. Louis County Resident families can email.
For all 2021-22 SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools applicants: if a second application requesting placement at different schools than the first application received for an individual child is submitted within the same Pool application time frame, the lottery system used to place students into open seats at schools requested will consider only the first application submitted for potential placement in the Pool A and Pool B lotteries. If you wish to update choices requested, this must be specifically submitted via email or in writing requesting to remove the previous application choices, and or request removal from the accepted lists or wait list of previous schools requested to have other new choices be added for potential placement consideration.
The District has implemented a two pool application, placement and notification timeline for students applying to magnet and choice schools. This procedure allows for quicker notification and information to be provided for acceptances, as well as available openings. See below for the two pool application deadlines and notifications dates.
Pool A Application Period
General Education Program Schools: Thursday, October 1, 2020 through Friday, November 6, 2020
Gifted Education Program Schools: Thursday, October 1, 2020 through Friday, November 6, 2020
Placement and wait list notifications will be emailed prior to close of business on Wednesday, November 25, 2020 for students applying in Pool A.
Pool B Application Period
Thursday, November 26, 2020 through Friday, January 8, 2021
(Applications submitted after the Pool A November 6, 2020 deadline but before November 26, 2020 will be considered for Pool B placement.)
Placement notifications will be emailed prior to close of business on Friday, January 29, 2021 for students applying in Pool B.
US Mail acceptance notices to all Pool A and Pool B applicants will be sent in February, 2021.Post Lottery Application Period
Applications received after the January 8, 2021 Pool B deadline will be processed and considered for placement in the order received on a first come first served basis, after all applicants from Pools A and B have been placed into schools and grades requested.
Schools and individual grades at schools where all available seats have been projected as full for the 2021-22 school year with a lengthy wait list in place, may be removed as a choice to request when submitting an application. This is done to encourage applicants to consider schools where openings exist, and not simply to be added to a lengthy wait list without chance of receiving an offer for placement.
After June 3, 2021, online application submissions will not be permitted. Only paper applications to schools and grades with open seats will be processed. You will NOT be notified if your child's application has not been processed.
All requests for transfer to any SLPS Magnet or Choice School are subject to the application and placement procedures and deadlines as for any applicant requesting placement into an SLPS Magnet or Choice School.
2021-22 school year high school transfer requests desired after April 15, 2021 and before June 26, 2021 must be submitted with a written release from the 2021-22 School Year projected SLPS high school principal. Transfer requests for students projected to attend one SLPS Magnet, Choice or Neighborhood/Comprehensive High School to another SLPS Magnet, Choice or Neighborhood/ Comprehensive High School will not be granted after June 26, 2021 for the 2021-22 School Year.
Applications for the 2021-22 school year will no longer be processed after Friday, August 6, 2021.