How to Apply
Some programs choices may be removed from receiving additional applicants due the schools projecting as full, with lengthy wait lists.
The deadline to submit applications for Gifted and General Education Programs to be considered in the 2020-21 School Year SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools Pool A Lottery is Friday, November 1, 2019 at 11:59:59 pm.
The 2020-21 School Year SLPS Gifted Education Programs application period opens Monday, September 16th, 2019.
The 2020-21 School Year SLPS General Education Programs application period will opens Tuesday, October 1st, 2019.
The 2020-21 Pool B Application Period opens November 28, 2019 and closes January 3, 2020.
The St. Louis Public Schools Student Recruitment and Placement Office is hosting a How To Apply session for parents interested in the St. Louis Magnet and Choice Schools for the 2020-21 school year. This will be held on Wednesday, October 2, 2019, from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm at the District Central Offices in room 108.
Magnet and Choice Schools Recruitment Fairs
High Schools Pep Rally for Students Only
Harris Stowe State University
Friday, September 20, 2019
9 am to 1 pm
Transportation for St. Louis Public Schools 8th Grade Students only will be provided from their current school. Come see what each SLPS District High School has to offer. For more information contact Stephen Anderson.
High School Here I Come
Allied Health Professions Building at St. Louis University
3437 Caroline Mall
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
5:30 to 8:00 pm
Elementary and Middle Magnet Schools Recruitment Fair
St. Louis Science Center5050 Oakland Ave.
Tuesday, October 8, 2019
5:30 to 8:00 pm
Keep In Mind
- All applications received in a Pool Application Period are given equal consideration, within placement priorities. Click this link http://www.slps.org/Page/747 to review the SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools Placement Priorities
- All Pool A applicants will be considered for placement prior to reviewing Pool B applicants, and all Pool B applicants will be considered for placement prior to reviewing applicants applying after the lottery pool deadlines.
- Applications for non-accepted students must be re-submitted each year. Unplaced student applications do not carry over from one year to the next.
- Applications received after the Pool B deadline will be considered for placement in the order they are received, after all Pool A and Pool B Applicants are placed where possible.
- Students who do not attend the Magnet or Choice School they were accepted into on the first day of the new school year will forfeit their seat.
Click this link http://www.slps.org/Page/747 for the SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools Feeder Pattern
Parents wishing to apply to magnet schools other than those assigned are free to do so, but the applications will be considered for placement under the Pool System, as well as the priorities within those pools.
Students determined eligible for SLPS District Gifted Programs who attend SLPS General Education Magnet Schools or SLPS Neighborhood Schools are not given Continuity Placement Priority into Gifted Program Magnet Schools. Parents of Gifted Eligible students not currently attending a Gifted Education Program School and wishing for their child to attend one of the Gifted Education Program Magnet Schools must apply and be considered in the lottery with the priority assigned as a student currently enrolled in a Magnet or Choice School.
Important! All 8th to 9th grade students must apply to be considered for placement to a Magnet or Choice High School. All criteria must be met to be eligible for placement to a Magnet or Choice High School. 8th grade Magnet Middle School graduates are not guaranteed placement into the continuing themed Magnet or Choice High School if the eligibility criteria for that school is not met.
The following students are eligible to apply for a spot in an SLPS Magnet or Choice School:
- Any student living in the city of St. Louis.
- Students residing in the Affton, Bayless, Brentwood, Clayton, Hancock Place, Kirkwood, Ladue, Lindbergh, Mehlville, Parkway, Pattonville, Ritenour, Rockwood, Valley Park and Webster Groves school districts are eligible to apply for the 2020-21 School year if a sibling currently attends an SLPS Magnet or Choice School, for Kindergarten through Grade 12. County residents are not eligible for preschool, and they are not eligible to apply for Choice Schools: Northwest Law Academy, Carnahan High School of the Future, Clyde C. Miller Career Academy and AESM at L'ouverture.
- For the 2020-21 School Year application period and beyond: St. Louis County students residing in participating St. Louis County school districts must have a sibling currently attending an SLPS Magnet School to be considered for potential placement in schools for grades KG-12. Please contact the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation at 314-772-8422 for more information. Participating School District St. Louis County Resident families can email.
- Applicants to Pre-kindergarten 3 and 4 years old programs must be St. Louis City residents
- Applicants to Pre-kindergarten 3 years old, Pre-kindergarten 4 years old, Kindergarten (5 years old) and 1st grade (6 years old) programs must be age appropriate on or before July 31 of the school year requested to apply/enroll. An applicant/student whose birthdate falls in the middle of the school year after July 31 is not considered age eligible for application processing and placement to the next grade level upon the anniversary of their birthdate.
The application process
Students wishing to attend a Magnet or Choice School must submit an application which can be done online at this website. Additional printable copies of applications are available for city residents at the St. Louis Public Schools website at www.slps.org or call the Student Recruitment Office at 314.633.5200. St. Louis County residents can visit the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corp. (VICC) website at www.choicecorp.org . At this website click on "Information about applying," or call 314.721.8422.
2020-21 School year online application submissions will not be permitted after May 21, 2020. Paper application submitted after this time will only be processed if an open seats exists at the school and grade requested. You will NOT be notified if your child's application is not processed.
Completed applications that are not submitted online using the website, may be mailed or dropped off to:
ST. LOUIS CITY RESIDENTS:
St. Louis Public Schools
Student Recruitment Office
801 N. 11th Street
St. Louis, MO 63101
ST. LOUIS COUNTY RESIDENTS:
Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corp. (VICC)
7425 Forsyth Blvd., Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63105
SLPS General Education Magnet and Choice Schools Applications for the 2020-21 school year will be available beginning Tuesday, October 1, 2019. Please complete only one application with 2 choices maximum (2 choices are not required) per child. Please do not request choices to schools you are not willing to have your child attend.
SLPS Gifted Program Education Magnet Schools Applications for the 2020-21 school year will be available beginning Monday, September 16, 2019. Elementary Gifted Education Program applicants may submit placement requests for all four Elementary Gifted Education Program Options with preferences ranked from one to four (only one choice is required). Please do not request choices to schools you are not willing to have your child attend. In addition, Gifted Education Program applicants for all Gifted Program Schools may also apply for up to two General Education Schools Magnet Schools if desired, to be considered for placement prior to required testing being administered. Please do not request choices to schools you are not willing to have your child attend.
For the 2020-21 School Year application period and beyond: St. Louis County students residing in participating St. Louis County school districts must have a sibling currently attending an SLPS Magnet School to be considered for potential placement in schools for grades KG-12. Please contact the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation at 314-772-8422 for more information. Participating School District St. Louis County Resident families can email.
For all 2020-21 SLPS Magnet and Choice Schools applicants: if a second application requesting placement at different schools than the first application received for an individual child is submitted within the same Pool application time frame, the lottery system used to place students into open seats at schools requested will consider only the first application submitted for potential placement in the Pool A and Pool B lotteries. If you wish to update choices requested, this must be specifically submitted via email or in writing requesting to remove the previous application choices, and or request removal from the accepted lists or wait list of previous schools requested.
The District has implemented a two pool application, placement and notification timeline for students applying to magnet and choice schools. This procedure allows for quicker notification and information to be provided for acceptances, as well as available openings. See below for the two pool application deadlines and notifications dates.
Pool A Application Period
General Education Program Schools: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 through Friday, November 1, 2019
Gifted Education Program Schools: Monday, September 16, 2019 through Friday, November 1, 2019
Placement and wait list notifications will be emailed prior to close of business on Wednesday, November 27, 2019 for students applying in Pool A.
Pool B Application Period
Thursday, November 28, 2019 through Friday, January 3, 2020
(Applications submitted after the Pool A November 1, 2019 deadline but before November 28, 2019 will be considered for Pool B placement.)
Placement notifications will be emailed prior to close of business on Friday, January 24, 2020 for students applying in Pool B.Post Lottery Application Period
Applications received after the January 3, 2020 Pool B deadline will be processed and considered for placement in the order received on a first come first served basis, after all applicants from Pools A and B have been placed into schools and grades requested.
Schools and individual grades at schools where all available seats have been projected as full for the 2020-21 school year with a lengthy wait list in place, may be removed as a choice to request when submitting an application. This is done to encourage applicants to consider schools where openings exist, and not simply to be added to a lengthy wait list without chance of receiving an offer for placement.
After May 21, 2020, online application submissions will not be permitted. Only paper applications to schools and grades with open seats will be processed. You will NOT be notified if your child's application has not been processed.
All requests for transfer to any SLPS Magnet or Choice School are subject to the application and placement procedures and deadlines as for any applicant requesting placement into an SLPS Magnet or Choice School.
2020-21 school year high school transfer requests desired after April 15, 2020 and before June 26, 2020 must be submitted with a written release from the 2020-21 School Year projected SLPS high school principal. Transfer requests for students projected to attend one SLPS Magnet, Choice or Neighborhood/Comprehensive High School to another SLPS Magnet, Choice or Neighborhood/ Comprehensive High School will not be granted after June 26, 2020 for the 2020-21 School Year.
Applications for the 2020-21 school year will no longer be processed after Friday, August 7, 2020.